jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012

Dutch typical food?? - This is Stamppot!

Have you ever wonder what is typical dutch food? Holland is known for weed, tulips, windmills.. but certainly not for food! Therefore I decided to show you one of Hollands most typical dishes, Ladies and Gentleman: This is Stamppot! 

Once again using the world's greatest source of information (Wikipedia) please let me first explain what Stampot is:


"A traditional Dutch dish made from a combination of potatoes mashed with one or several other vegetables, sometimes also with bacon. These vegetable pairings traditionally include sauerkrautendivekalespinachturnip greens, or carrot and onion (the combination of the latter two is known as hutspot (which is the one I made)  in the Netherlands). It is usually served with sausage."


I know I should be studying! I know I know! because I have exams next week. My statistics of the past few days:




But actually the idea of cooking Stamppot (or Hutspot) came to my mind today while being in the library sitting next to my classmate Tomasz , who started talking about cooking! and cooking is a magic word that gets my brain to work again! 


The day in Leiden today was lovely! and I had already been the whole day at uni, and studying in the library, so I deserved a break and go for a little bike ride and some grocery shopping. 


This is Van der Werfpark, a beautiful place outside the law faculty from Leiden University. Some history about this park, in 1807 a ship loaded with gunpowder actually exploded here, buildings were damaged all over the city.  It is called Van der Werf, due the statue you can see in the picture on the right side, Mr. Van der Werf was one of the heroes during the Spanish Siege.. yes people! in case you did not know... Leiden also had to fight against the spanish! 
While doing my grocery shopping, I came across a Vlaai Store!!! (you will see how Vlaai looks like in a minute) I had no idea there was a vlaai store in the city. Vlaai is a typical kind of cake from the south of The Netherlands from the province called "Limburg" which was my hometown for a whole year, so I am a big huge fan of Vlaai and from Limburg! and since I was cooking typical dutch food, why not getting some typical southern cake for desert. (Next week is my dutch mom bday party, and I actually have to go south so maybe  I can get to write a post about limburg!)


So, as I usually do, here are my ingredients:


Some potatoes, an onion, carrots, bacon, sausage, gravy and some  spices, I was lazy and just got the "hutspot" spices, but you can be creative and put what you want in there. How do you make it?? boil the  potatoes, mash the potatoes. Boil the carrots, and mash them with the potatoes. Regarding the bacon, fry it with the onions. Then put it all toguether, in a bowl, mash it up a little bit more, add some butter with the spices. On a separate pan prepare some gravy, and that's it! Then add the sausage.

The result



 

An later on, some dessert (Vlaai) with a cup of coffee!



 
My critic today was Ms. Elaine Hsi-Hua Lin, my lovely flatmate from Taiwan. She liked it, and of course she enjoyed some cake too, for being nice enough to try my food. Thanks Elaine!