sábado, 10 de marzo de 2012

The empanada connection!

I got better! Yeaiii, finally no more fever in the horizon and to celebrate my recovery I decided to cook something nice for me (because you know by now how much I love eating!) 

After chatting with my dear friend Wai Man for hours about how stir frying things with garlic and onion always makes things better, I could NOT stop thinking about stir friying shrimps! Just because I love shrimp!, and since I was stir frying them, why not go all the way and make shrimp cheese empanadas, and then fulfil two appetites in one go.

And Saturday was the day chosen for this, why?, well Saturday is market day in Leiden, so I could get some nice fresh shrimps, some nice cheese and have a walk around the market to start my day in an splendid way!


Dutch people REALLY like to go to the market on Saturdays! If you ever come to Holland, going to the market  is a MUST, the market in Leiden is tiny, but try the Albert Cuyp Market in Amsterdam http://www.albertcuypmarkt.nl/ac_english.html

What is an empanada: ok, so I am pretty sure about 50% of my readers are in Chile, or were in Chile so they know what is it. BUT I also know some of you have never heard of it, so this is Chilean cooking 101. 

"An empanada is a stuffed bread or pastry baked or fried in many countries in Latin America. The name comes from the verb empanar, meaning to wrap or coat in bread. Empanada is made by folding a dough or bread patty around the stuffing. The stuffing can consist of a variety of meats, cheese, huitlacoche, vegetables or fruits among others." (Thank you wikipedia) 

Now that everyone knows what an empanada is, let's get it started!

The Ingredients 

A little pisco, for the shrimp but also I actually needed it as a rolling pin. 

The process of cooking the empanadas

You can look for the steps on the internet,  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Empanadas, but basically just make some dough with flour, olive oil, salt, warm milk warm water.

Now the nice thing, stir frying shrimps with a tiny little bit pisco and a tiny little bit merken for some chilean flavor.





OMG the smell of those shrimps! A-mazing! really easy to make, chop garlic, chop some onions...a  little bit of olive oil in the pan, and that's it! then add the shrimp on that pan.

So, how do we match the shrimp and the cheese and the dough?? well.. like this! make some little discs with the dough and fill it the nice fillingggss, then just close them.







The result?:
Before going in the oven:

And the most important thing, after the oven:



According to my critics, Eszter, Fernanda and Hanna, they were very good! so there you go, home made empanadas with a little taste from the coast of Chile!

Tot ziens!

kena



7 comentarios:

Sun dijo...

Or the Dappermarkt which has been voted the best market for many years!
http://www.dappermarkt.nl/

Kena Jimenez dijo...

@Sun, that is also very true, a very nice market! Thnx for the feedback ;)

Ana Maria dijo...

Are those your pictures?
Your blog is getting better and better!!!! i love it.

now I'm hungry

Kena Jimenez dijo...

@ana maría (anita) All pictures on my blog are mine, cuz that's the idea! and the empanadas were home made, I made them. So when you visit maybe maybe I can make some for you! ;) I am reallyyy glad you like my blog!

Renate dijo...

Media producción! Se ven deliciosas las emanadas. Con mi amiga Monique, que es holandesa también, también tenemos una empanada connection, y es que las Kaassoufles son casi idénticas a las empanadas de queso!

Kena Jimenez dijo...

@Renate que bueno!!! ahh nunca he comido kaassoufles! lo voy a probar!

Marisol Acuña dijo...

Se ve que te quedaron muy buenas esas empanadas! felicitaciones :)